Enough dough for 1 - 1-1/2 dozen tamales
· 2-1⁄2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Masa Harina Golden Corn Flour
· 1-1⁄2 cups water, hot
· 1-2 to 1 cup olive oil (grape seed, canola, coconut will all work, but may need different amounts)
· 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
· 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
· additional water (or vegetable broth/stock)
· 1⁄2 teaspoon Mrs Dash Table Blend (optional)
· 1 tablespoon parsley, dried (optional)
· 1⁄2 teaspoon cilantro, dried (optional)
· 1⁄4 teaspoon mild green chili powder (optional)
· 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper medley, ground (optional)
· 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
· 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder (optional)
Rehydrate the dry masa flour with hot water. Put the masa flour in the bowl. Pour in the hot water. Use the pastry cutter to blend the water into the flour until a fairly dry dough forms. It should be fairly dry, but stick together when you press it all together. Push all the dough together and wrap with saran wrap. Set aside for at least 30 minutes.
Put 1/2 cup of oil in the mixing bowl. Add 1/2 cup of masa. Mix, adding the rehydrated masa a little bit at a time. If the mix is too dry, and crumbly, add more oil.
Add in the salt and baking powder, plus any optional ingredients. Continue mixing, incorporating air into the mixture.