I need to take my sewing machine in for service. Unfortunately, that means I’ll be without it for a few days. So I was digging around in my sewing room trying to figure out what I can do while it’s gone… since I use it almost every day! I came across this little finger puppet that I made a while back. I called her a Love Bug, when I made her.
I’m interested in the Steampunk genre. So is DD1, who is busy making steampunk style costumes. I’ve had this book on my shelves for a while, even though I haven’t actually made anything from it… yet! The book is Steampunk Softies: Scientifically-Minded Dolls from a Past That Never Was, by Sarah Skeate and Nicola Tedman. It contains complete patterns and instructions for eight different characters with very interesting personalities. In addition there are lots of accessories and a wealth of ideas that could be used to customize your own soft dolls and sculptures.
I’ve been working on a pattern for a small doll for a few years. Here’s where it’s at. The oldest version is on the left. I made it a few years ago, and wasn’t happy with it for several reasons. First of all, I didn’t like the feet. And the head had both good and bad points. I liked the elf ears and smile, but the nose was just too much.
Isn’t this just adorable? She is a little, baby poppet doll! I received her in exchange for Sasha, which I showed you yesterday! This is what she looks like from the back. I think she’s the cutest thing ever! Here she is with a ruler, so you can see what size she is. Best of all, I also got the pattern! So now I can make a whole nursery of baby poppets!
I would like to introduce you to Sasha! She is an elf poppet doll made from my adaptation of ghilie’s “My Pretty Poppet” pattern, combined with craftewoman’s Elenore poppet pattern. Sasha’s Story Sasha is a “mutant” elf. That means that she is a cross between two different elf tribes. In this case, she is part Bengali and part Siberian. This particular mutation often results in elves with very white skin and varying amounts of “tiger” markings on their bodies and blue eyes.
Although I haven’t posted about it in a while, I’m still working on the Mystery Poppet Project! You may remember the previous post, where I had all of the body parts ready to stuff and string? Well, I have her put together! She doesn’t have her eyelashes or wig yet. I usually put the eyelashes on at the end, so I don’t mess them up while dressing the doll. And her wig is still a work in progress.
I have a major fascination with small dolls. I discovered this pattern from Gingermelon on Etsy for Pocket Pixies. They are about 7-1⁄2 inches tall, and sewn entirely by hand from felted wool. I got the pattern last week, and made my first doll. I got this far. I wanted to give my little pixie the option of changing her hair styles. So I designed this wig, thinking of the pink leopard felt, which I intended to use for some of her clothing.
I have something that I want to attach to the back of the poppet doll that I am making. I decided that using a magnet is a good way to make the object “stick”, yet make it easily removable. I have some small, super strong, neodymium magnets, and I decided to use one inside the back of the doll. So then, I had to come up with a way to attach it, so it stays in the proper location.
I am making progress on my doll! All of the first sewing is completed, and the parts are cut out. I will be working on it some more today. I like to use 15mm clear plastic “animal eyes” for these dolls. They are the kind with the plastic washer that pushes onto the post on the center back of the eye to hold them in place. They are easy to insert, and hold up well.